Dayton, OH – June 2011 – The NBA draft was full of Good Samaritan Flyin’ to the Hoop Alumni last evening. In total, 8 past participants of the annual event were drafted into the NBA – 5 of which went in the first round. Every January, the event brings the best talent from around the country to play against the best Ohio teams at the Trent Arena in Dayton, OH in what is regarded as one of the premiere high school basketball showcases in the nation.
This year the drafted alumni included:
- #4 Overall Tristan Thompson (of Findlay Prep, NV) to Cleveland Cavaliers
- #8 Brandon Knight (Pinecrest HS, FL) to Detroit Pistons
- #21 Nolan Smith (Oak Hill Academy, VA) to Portland Trailblazers
- #28 Norris Cole (Dunbar, OH) to Miami Heat
- #29 Cory Joseph (Findlay Prep, NV) to San Antonio Spurs
- #37 Trey Thompkins (Oak Hill Academy,VA ) to LA Clippers (w/ other former FTTH player DeAndre Jordan)
- #39 Jeremy Tyler (San Diego HS, CA) to Golden State – Jeremy played his senior year of high school overseas, and
- #52 Deandre Liggins (Findlay Prep, NV) to Orlando Magic.
These 8 draftees will join 11 other Good Sam Flyin’ to the Hoop Alumni in the NBA next fall.
Since 2003, the Good Samaritan Flyin’ to the Hoop Invitational has featured more than 250 players that have gone on to play Division I College Basketball—including 15 McDonalds All Americans and now 19 NBA players. Teams from more than 20 different states have been represented. The annual event showcases approximately 30 teams each year playing 16 games over the MLK, Jr. holiday weekend in January. Each year more than 200 members of the media and college coaches nationwide attend the event along with 16,000+ fans.
This year’s event to be played again at the Trent Arena in Dayton, Ohio will be the 10-year anniversary of the showcase. The dates for the 10-year anniversary will be January 13 (Fri), 14, 15, 16, 2012. Games will be added on Friday night this upcoming year because of the abundance of teams that would like to participate. So far, over 20 teams have been contracted to play including national power Findlay Prep (NV) and 5 time state champion in Georgia, Norcross High School.
Sports Image® is the parent company of Good Samaritan Hospital Flyin’ to the Hoop.